Wednesday 1 December 2010

apologies

Hey everyone, sorry for not updating from the weekend just yet but i've had a couple of setbacks so i'll only be doing a post when I can. As some of you might know from following my blog in the summer, my house is in the process of being redecorated, and in the beginning of summer, we had builders come in to put insulation in the walls of some of the rooms in the house. My Mom and Dad found out this evening that the radiator in our living room leaked because the builders didn't put it back in correctly or something and so all of my Mom's photos and her family's photos circa 1940 onwards have nearly been destroyed.

It's so upsetting for my Mom and I don't understand why she hasn't broken down yet. If it were me i'd be crying and probably in a trance, not knowing what to do. Luckily, a lot of the negatives of the photos have survived, but there are a lot of older photos, maybe even older than 1940, that have been completely ruined. It's like loads of memories have just been erased...literally. I didn't realise how much of their life a person could keep until now....

My house is full of photos, newspaper cuttings, birth and wedding certificates (completely handwritten) letters, and everything else that you could think of. The other bad part about it is as these things dry, they all curl up, so trying to put them back into a photo album is going to be tough...

Again, i'll update when I can...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, if that was my Mom she'd find and kill the builders who did that. Things like that are irreplaceable! I feel so sad for your Mom~

    ReplyDelete